Our learning community consists of a Nursery, Preschool and Kindergarten. The children and families of our community experience an environment where their needs and aspirations are valued. We pride ourselves on our strong professional relationships with our families and this enhances our ability to provide the best learning environment for your child.
Our centre is well equipped with resources and extensive work has been completed in the kindergarten building, car park and all three playgrounds. We have teams of qualified teachers who work alongside dedicated support teachers.
We believe that children learn through play and experience; teachers are facilitators of this learning, but the children are the leaders.
Christchurch 8083, New Zealand
At Bottle Lake we have a team of teachers in our nursery who share the care and education of all. They develop strong, professional and caring relationships with each child, and their families. Infants and toddlers have opportunity to explore their environment and engage in highly responsive interactions with adults.
Our nursery teachers understand that children are an extension of their family, and that when working with infants and toddlers the greater the continuity, the better the learning for children. We value the aspirations and expectations of parents and whānau and use this information to guide our curriculum.
We have a strong transition programme that supports your toddler through a smooth transition when they are ready to transition to our preschool.
me the better it is for the children. Therefore all requests around routines are valued, and met to the best of their ability.
We offer an exciting, challenging and wondrous environment for our pre-schoolers where:
• They develop trusting and responsive relationships with teachers and peers and begin to build relationships with others in the wider community.
• They engage in highly responsive interactions with adults and are provided with the equipment and tools they need to discover and explore thinking and reasoning at an appropriate level.
• They can work individually or in groups to make sense of their discoveries.
• They have opportunities to explore the community outside of the centre environment.
• Literacy, numeracy, art & drama, music and science are present in everyday activities and experiences, in a natural, fun and meaningful way.
• Our transition programme allows children to experience transition in a gentle and connected way-children are given the opportunity to visit when they want to as well as be part of a more formal transition when the time comes to move across to the kindergarten.
Kindergarten 3.5/4yrs – 5/6yrs
The kindergarten is a child centred environment full of untapped discoveries, where children:
• Have opportunities to learn about their world through the curriculum areas of Science, Physical Play, Maths, Art, Music & Drama, and Literacy.
• Early Writing, Fine and Gross Motor Skills, Letter and Name Recognition, Number Recognition and Rote Counting, Experiments, Singing, Dancing, Acting, and Creating.
• Have an understanding of what is socially acceptable behaviour, understanding and accepting consequences, and managing their own behaviour in a group setting.
• Understanding and accepting that there are other people we need to consider alongside ourselves.
• Are actively encouraged to manage their personal wellbeing by attempting: to dress themselves after toileting, manage their own eating and drinking, manage their own belongings, and manage personal hygiene in a caring supported way.
• Our kindergarten offers a well-researched ready for school programme. Your child’s teacher is invited and welcome to visit your child in our kindergarten setting.
• We have a well-equipped playground and large sandpit offering children lots of outdoor opportunities.
• We have a good working relationship with our local schools to support our transitions to school. New entrant teachers are invited to visit our classroom and build beginning relationships with their pupils. We offer assistance to families with school transition visits, if required.